Implementing ASHRAE Standard 189.1-2011 for High-Performance Green Buildings
- Wed October 24, 2012, 9:00 am - 4:00 am
- Evergreen Brick Works - Toronto,
- Education (Chapter), Education
Evergreen Brick Works
550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, ON M4W
9:00am - 4:00pm (includes lunch)
“[ASHRAE Standard 189.1] was written in code language. The intent was to bring into the building code high-performance green building practices.”
- Tom Lawrence, an ASHRAE Public Associate and Professor of Engineering at the University of Georgia, and our instructor for Oct 24th
What specific design parameters and performance standards are essential to establishing a facility as a high performance green building? To answer this question and prepare for an eventual green building code, ASHRAE Standard 189.1-2011 was developed with the USGBC and IES to detail the minimum requirements for defining a high-performance green building.
This course is intended to enable you to:
- Differentiate how Standard 189.1 varies from green building rating systems (e.g., LEED, Green Globes).
- Relate Standard 189.1 to other building design standards and guidelines.
- Recognize the importance of developing a code-intended standard for design of high performance green buildings.
- Identify mandatory provisions in the Standard and better comprehend their intent.
- Identify and understand the two compliance path options (Prescriptive and Performance) and their associated provisions in Standard 189.1.
- Understand the key energy-related design requirements in Standard 189.1.
- Clearly grasp the intent and criteria contained in the "Plans for Operation" portion of the Standard.
About the Standard
ASHRAE Standard 189.1-2011, developed by ASHRAE, USGBC, and IES, is the first code-intended commercial green building standard in North America. It provides a long-needed green building foundation for those who strive to design, build, and operate green buildings. The standard covers key topic areas of site sustainability, water use efficiency, energy efficiency, indoor environmental quality and the building’s impact on the atmosphere, materials and resources, and includes construction practices as well as plans for operation of the building after occupancy.
$279 -- Member of CaGBC National, CaGBC Greater Toronto Chapter, ASHRAE Toronto Chapter, or AEE Southern Ontario Chapter (ask your Chapter for your discount code)
$349 -- Non-Member
**Compare this to the price of $595, as offered in the USA!
6 PDHs/LUS and 6 CEU’s
Relevant ArticlesThe Army's adoption of ASHRAE 189.1
Details about ASHRAE 189.1-2011 (released January 2012)
Brief overview of the Standard and IgCC
Tom Lawrence, Ph.D., P.E., LEED AP
This course is made possible by our Program Partners:
- Evergreen Brick Works
- 550 Bayview Avenue
- Postal Code:
- M4W 3X8